The Xbox 360 (X360 or simply abbreviated as 360) is a video game console from Microsoft, developed in cooperation with IBM, ATI, Samsung and SiS. She succeeds the first Xbox's name. A lighter version of the console was shown at E3 June 15, 2010: Xbox 360 S
This is the first seventh generation console to be released in the competition with the PlayStation 3 from Sony and Nintendo Wii. It is available in white since November 22, 2005 in North America, December 2, 2005 in Europe and December 10, 2005 in Japan. It is available since August 24, 2007 in Europe, an improved version called the Xbox 360 Elite black which has a 120GB hard drive and HDMI. An HDMI port team now all consoles sold.
The Xbox 360 is partially compatible with Xbox games. This necessarily requires a compatible hard drive to store the patches needed to run xbox games. These games have improved graphics (compatibility with HDTVs).
Development and launch
The codename during development of the console was "Xenon." Several names have been advanced before the official name is 360. The presentation ceremony was held May 12, 2005 on MTV Released a year before the competition, the Xbox 360 marks the beginning of an era of high definition wireless (for handles). Eager to take a maximum advance against its direct competitor Sony, Microsoft has decided to release their console as soon as possible, and particularly not miss the holiday season. Released in November 2005 in the United States and December 2 in Europe and Japan, the Xbox 360 made the first global launch of a console in gaming history. This output has been some discomfort, as stock shortages in the U.S. and Europe, the Red Ring Of Death accompanied by replenishment late. The Japanese public has received a very frosty machine Microsoft (less than 40,000 consoles sold during the month of December).
Microsoft announced in April 2008 that 17.7 million Xbox 360 have been sold worldwide since its launch in late 2005. The Redmond company also announced having sold 8.1 million copies of his playing Halo 3 event since its release in September 2007. Mass Effect also makes a good score with 1.6 million copies sold. However, the Xbox 360 is closely followed by the PS3 and the latter is overtaken by the Wii.
Microsoft said that Xbox 360 owners buy more games and accessories that owners of other media information immediately denied by Nintendo at a press conference May 22, 2008 that this console has been sold a year before the PS3 and Wii, which explains that the owners have the time to buy more.
In fact, 50 million Wii game console was sold in 18 months of marketing cons 30 million for the Xbox 360 and 23 million for the PlayStation 3. However this information is accurate if one takes into account the number of games sold per Xbox 360 console which has therefore an advantage over his two rivals.
On September 22, 2008, Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 has to exceed 6 million units sold in Europe. And May 31, 2009, the Redmond company announced the 30 million consoles sold worldwide.
Processor: Xenon (IBM)
* Training Games (POWER)
* 3 cores PPE (PowerPC Processing Element) two-way superscalar, 2 threads per core (two-way SMT) which is equivalent to three symmetrical cores or 6 virtual cores.
* Execution in order as at the beginning of the computer (like the Cell)
* 1 MB L2 cache
* 165 million transistors
* 3.2 GHz, 90nm engraving originally 65nm since late 2007. It is engraved in 45nm by 2010
* 1 unit for integers (ALU)
* An FPU (floating) mt g 2, 222
* 1 unit load-store
* 2 units VMX-128 with 128-bit registers
* 2 x 32 KB L1 cache
The Xbox 360 can run 6 threads simultaneously. Two of the three cores are used for procedural geometry, kind of compression to obtain a good quality texture despite the low memory capacity (see article in English to bottom of page). This results in further savings of memory bandwidth.
Graphics: Xenos (ITA)
* 500 MHz 90 nm engraving originally then 65 nm since November 2008 (consoles Jasper).
* 48 pixel shader pipelines in parallel
Architecture * Unified shader
* 500 million triangles / second
* 96 billion shader operations per second
* 10 MB EDRAM
* Cons: its mainly rises in temperature due to its poor ventilation.
The GPU of the Xbox 360, which is codenamed Xenos, developed by ATI, was the forerunner of the unified architecture, now used by PC graphics cards. The Shader Core (heart graphic) has no less than 232 million transistors and 150 million transistors EDRAM about.
* 512 @ 500 MHz MoGDDR3 shared with the CPU or hard drive 60 or 120 GB
* Bandwidth 21.6 GB / s
Inputs / Outputs:
* 3 USB 2.0 ports (two front)
* The new Xbox 360 will include five USB ports, two in front.
* 2 memory card slots Xbox 360
* 1 LAN RJ45
* 1 HDMI port
Audio / Video:
* Definitions HDTV: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* Analog: AV MULTI 1
* Digital output: 1 HDMI 1.2 jack
* CD: CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
* DVD: DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD + R, DVD + RW, DVD + DL
* HD DVD: HD DVD, HD DVD-R
* Video: WMV (. Wmv), WM-DRM, MPEG-4, H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, DivX, Xvid,
* Audio: AAC (. M4a. M4b. M4p. M4v. M4r. Aac .3 gp. Mp4), MP3 (. Mp3), WMA (. Wma)
* Image: JPEG (. Jpg.. Jpg jpe. Jfif. JFI)
Read also iPad
Posted by Love